The best Sportaloosa competition ever is back in 2013 and every Sportaloosa member can take part.
The Ride A Sportaloosa competition rewards the time you spend riding a Sportaloosa and gives extra credit for riding when you're promoting the Sportaloosa to the public. It's equal parts fun and serious competition as you can balance your relaxed hours in the saddle with competitive hours in the saddle.
The 2013 Ride a Sportaloosa competition has 2 sections: rider and handler.
- Riders count hours spent in the saddle but don't include hours spent doing groundwork.
- Handlers count hours spent doing groundwork only but don't include any riding.
- Neither section includes time spent grooming.
You'll get the awesome official competition polo shirt in the colour of your choice and you'll submit your hours every month.
- Sign up for the Ride A Sportaloosa Competition, nominate one registered Sportaloosa to ride and every hour you spend riding him/her earns you a point. Complete the rider's diary every month and submit your points to be counted in the competition through the forum.
- Winners in their respective categories are calculated based on the number of points earned during 2013
- Every hour you spend riding that Sportaloosa at a competition earns you a bonus point
- Every hour you spend promoting that registered Sportaloosa under saddle to the public earns you a bonus point (think open days, fun, non-competition days)
- Send in a photo of you riding your Sportaloosa, wearing your 'Ride A Sportaloosa' shirt and earn another bonus point (maximum of 4 points available for the duration of the competition)
- that is, you can take a maximum of 4 photos at different times and different events and earn a bonus point for each one. Only the first 4 photos count (and only genuine photos count).
- Get a photo of 2 or more entrants on Sportaloosas, at a competition and all pictured entrants earn a bonus point (maximum of 4 points available for the duration of the competition)
- that is, you can take a maximum of 4 photos at different times and different events and earn a bonus point for each one. Only the first 4 photos count (and only genuine photos count)
How to work it
This competition is for you, no matter who or where you are and no matter what kind of riding you're doing with your Sportaloosa.
It's a riding competition, so it's your time in the saddle that counts and it's designed for the person who's riding one horse. If you're riding more than one, no problem, just nominate the registered Sportaloosa you're using for the competition.
Example - in March 2013 you ride your nominated Sportaloosa for 1 hour every second day. That's 15 hours total riding time, so you record 15 points. Also in March, you attend a show and spend 2 hours riding in competition and you attend a spotted horse open day and ride for an hour. That gives you 2 bonus points at the show and 1 at the open day, so you record a total of 18 points for the month.
If you're not competing, put in more hours in the saddle to keep your points up. If you're competing but not riding for very long every day, you'll need to be riding long hours in competition. Use the competition forum to find out where others might be so you can snap a bonus photo.
Above all, have fun! The Ride A Sportaloosa is equal parts fun and serious competition. If you don't think you have a hope of winning, enter for the shirt, the hours you'll spend in the saddle and to get the encouragement and support of the rest of the Sportaloosa community. If you're competitive, we'll all be cheering you on!
Starts 1 January 2013
Ends 31 December 2013
One horse, one rider
When you enter, nominate the horse you'll be riding. If you sell the horse or it becomes lame and can't be ridden throughout the year, you can nominate a second horse.
- Male rider any age
- Female rider any age
- Male handler any age
- Female handler any age
- And a special award for exceptional performance of the year (judged by Sportaloosa International from all entries)
Entry and entry fee
- Your 2013 entry costs $40 (Australian, NZ or US dollars)
- All entries get the Ride A Sportaloosa 2013 polo shirt (screen printed with the logo) in their desired size and colour
- All entries get the Ride A Sportaloosa riders' calendar, to record their hours
- All entries are encouraged to post in the Ride A Sportaloosa forum, to stay motivated and support other contestants
As you'd expect, we have some classy and very useful prizes on offer. Every single entrant gets one of our special 2013 Ride A Sportaloosa polo shirts as part of their entry and you can choose your size and colour when you enter.... make sure you wear it when you're out and about for bonus points.
Winners (calculated after the end of 2013 based on riders' diaries submitted throughout the year) can choose between Sportaloosa saddle cloths, Sportaloosa horse rugs, Sportaloosa halters and Sportaloosa feed bags as their prize, minimum value $80.
Hours can only be counted when the entrant rides the registered Sportaloosa they nominate on their entry form. For riders, only hours spent riding can be counted. For handlers, only hours spent doing groundwork (not grooming) can be counted. Don't cheat. You may round your time spent riding in any calendar month up to the nearest 5 minutes.